Saturday 30 January 2010

Welcome Wendy

Yesterday a new lady came into my life. She was expected and she was planned. She was also a bit dishevelled due to travelling.

You see, she had flown in all the way from New Zealand and space was a bit tight.

Of course, the only thing I could do was to give her a good oil, rubbing her with teak oil as well as oiling every joint as I put her together. She is a very cute wheel, the only sadness is that the bobbin supports have been replaced by some painted dowels. But it would be rude to point out such a defect.

Of course, importing a second-hand wheel from New Zealand isn't the cheapest way to purchase a wheel. I could probably have sourced a variety of second-hand travelling wheel in the UK for the same or less money, not that I really tried to find one.

Buying a wheel is a serious consideration and when buying a second wheel I really wanted the flexibility of being able to work on the same project away from home. In order to do that, I needed a wheel that would use the same bobbins as my existing wheel. It also needed to be small enough to stand up in my car. After a bit of hunting I managed to locate Wendy, the smaller sister to Pipy.

Also I find it interesting that the little sister (Wendy) was made by Philip Poore, the original designer, and that my Pipy was made by Ray Chisholm who ran the business after Mr Poore retired.

They are both a joy to spin with, shame I can't use them at the same time.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: