Sunday 2 February 2014

Getting A-Head with St Mungo's


My friend Janine aka @craftyactivist on Twitter encouraged a group of us to meet at Cozy Club last Tuesday for an evening of fun, chat and wooly fun. And thus the Craftivisam club was launched. The club meets on the 1st Wednesday & 3rd Tuesday of every month to craft some positive action. To keep up to date with meetings please see the Craftivism Facebook page.

One of the reasons for getting together was to support St Mungo's by providing hand crafted hats for their wooly hat day sales. St Mungo's does really excellent work with the homeless and are definitely worth supporting.

 

With such a wonderful suggestion, I grabbed some yarn from my stash, a crochet hook and joined in the fun. Having made a few hats I just free formed the hat. After all, crocheting in a darkened bar with clever friends doesn't tend to make it easy to follow a written pattern. I have decided to write out how I made my Mungo beanie. It is my first ever pattern so I cannot guarantee it is very well written.


Mungo's Beanie

50g DK yarn (I used Rowan pure wool DK)
4mm crochet hook
Row 1: Ch4, SS to make a ring.
Row 2: Ch3, 9dc into ring.
Row 3: Ch3, dc into next st, 3dc into each st, sl (26sts including ch)
Row 4: Ch3, *2dc into next st, 1dc into next st* repeat to end, sl (37sts)
Row 5: Ch3, dc into next sts, *2dc into next st, 1dc into next 2 sts*, repeat to last st, 1dc into bottom of chain, sl (48sts)
Row 6: Ch3, 2dc, *dc in next 3 sts, 2dc into next st* repeat to end, sl (60sts)
Row 7: Ch3, *dc in next 3 sts, 2dc into next st* repeat to end, sl (73sts)
Row 8: Ch3, dc every st, sl
Row 9: Ch3, dc in next 4 sts, *2dc in next st, dc in next 5sts* repeat to end, sl (82sts)
Rows 10 - 21: Repeat row 8 11 more times.

I changed colour on rows 15 and 17 to add two stripes of colour.

Weave in ends and put on a head to keep it warm.

 

No comments: