Tuesday 9 February 2010

Get Knitted Dye Workshop

This Saturday I was lucky enough to attend the Dye Workshop held by Jeni of Fyberspates at Get Knitted.

I have been wanting to do this workshop for a while but each time it was full so I was pleased when there was availability and that it fell on my birthday was a complete bonus.

The dyeing is carried out in doors, above the shop and we were amply supplied with cake and drinks. After a health and safety discussion we were let loose on a range of  bases, hand painting them with acid dyes. It was such fun, and it was lovely to change a base yarn from this super shiny merino tencel:


To this multi coloured paint job.

To this completed yarn.
 
The shine on this yarn is amazing.

Next, I was lucky enough to play with Scrumptious Chunky 

 

and pulled this out the bag
 
Next I gave myself a serious lace fix, dyeing 3,000meters of Tai Silk in a gold colourway.

As though silk isn't sparkly enough I then dyed some sparkle sock inspired by ripening vines.
 

Finally, I finished with a lovely turquoise and blue colourway which will be great for a pair of highly patterned socks.
 
 
My one real disappointment was the silk hankie. I shall try and rework it but I couldn't be bothered to photograph it. Afterall, who wants to see the pants stuff.

As I mentioned, it was also my birthday and once again I was royally spoilt by those around me. I received another SIGNED copy of The Death of Bunny Monroe and a CD of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Royal Albert Hall. Can't beat a bit of Nick.

I also received foam mats for blocking my knitting, a Romi shawl pin (I'm waiting for it to arrive but it's on its way) and the following:
 

I really love the Rose of England, La Traviata, Maple Garland although Iain is now concerned I might cover all flat surfaces with lace table cloths and doilies.

On top of this are two lovely sets of stitch markers from my friend Claire. She made the perfect choice, a set for lace as I love knitting it and some gorgeous green markers. I'm not too sure how much knitting will be done when my project wears these as I may just sit and look at the markers.

Finally, I also received some gorgeous cashmere yarn from my friend Elizabeth. 

 

I think it is destined to become a melon shawl from Victorian Lace Today.

 

1 comment:

ClaireEJ said...

I am so glad you liked the markers. Atomic Knitting really makes some fabulous ones. I foresee much more shopping with her later this year!!!
Glad you had such a wonderful birthday, you deserve it.
Big hugs.Cx