Wednesday 3 February 2010

Sleeves in Your Pi Challenge

I have been working slowly working on my spinning challenge - Sleeves in your Pi.

I am using a grey shetland fleece I purchased from the Guild last year for £8.00. The fleece is from a sheep called Stelatta. Details of the challenge and washing the fleece were posted on 1 January 2010.

I started washing the fleece in December and it is now all washed. I am combing the fleece and this is proving time consuming. Because of the small locks I have been using quite a narrow gauge dog comb but have decided to see what result I get with a flick comb I received with my Wendy wheel.

The sample was spun and plied on 29 January on my brand new Wendy wheel. I plan to spin the singles on the Wendy and use the Pipy for plying. Obviously, these changes will mean I shall have to check I am producing the same yarn.

The spun sample is knitted on 5.5mm needles and I have perfect stitch gauge, I am sightly short on the row gauge but as I am knitting the large size, I don't think it will be an issue.  I will just need to check and add extra rows if needed.

I am so happy with how the sample looks. It makes me eager to crack on with this project.

No comments: