Thursday 7 January 2010

A walk with death

Tuesday I visited the JobCentre in Bath as I am now officially a Government statistic. It was interesting as I was given an appointment that was earlier than their opening time. However, they were very pleasant and also put me in contact with JTL who provide job advice, assistance with CV's, skills identification, training and advice on becoming self employed.  I am exploring all options so it will be an interesting start to the year.

Once finished, I decided to take a stroll up Walcott Street and continued walking home that way.  Viewed from Bathwick Bridge Bath still looks impressive.



I then took a walk through St John's Church, Bathwick. The church yard is lovely with yew trees, holly and ivy jingling and jangling amounst the grave stones.




This one really caught my eye - it says 'This Grave is Full'.



Next door is St Mary's Churchyard. This is no longer active and indeed the mortuary building is now derelict. The grave yard itself had fallen into disrepair but is now being maintained. Gravel footpaths have been laid and graves of note have been marked. There are some beautiful tombs in this atmospheric ceremetry.



 

Continuing my walk home, I couldn't resist having a quick look at the canal. I was delighted to find it frozen.



In the cold snap we finally received some quality snow. Iain succumbed to some snowy fun and made himself a snowman.

1 comment:

ClaireEJ said...

How cool to see the frozen canal and the cemetery too...Love it.
Old cemeteries are just so interesting. I keep planning to visit Highgate but never seem to get round to it.
I used to walk a lot along the Avon and Kennet canal when it was being worked on in the 80's and 90's. I miss it.