Monday 17 March 2008

Brother, My Cup is Empty

I cast on the first project for my sister’s baby last week and have nearly finished it. It is Debbie Bliss’s Garter Stitch Matinee Jacket from her Baby Cashmerino 2 book. I thought it would be a fun, plain pattern to knit but I am finding it a bit dull as it is all garter stitch. However, I think it is going to look stunning. Pictures coming soon, I promise.

I have tinkered with the pattern so I won’t have any sewing! The fronts and backs have been knitted as one piece on circular needles, removing 1 stitch from the fronts and 2 stitches from the back pieces when casting on. I used a crochet provisional cast on when adding stitches for the sleeves. This has enabled me to knit the fronts and I will then pick up the stitches so I can knit the backs. My plan is to use the 3 needle graft detailed by Sandi Wiseheart of Knitting Daily to join the tops of the sleeves so the jacket appears to have no seams whatsoever! That will amaze my sister.

This is the first time I have used Rowan RYC Cashsoft Baby DK which is lovely and soft. It is easy to split with the needles but has good stitch definition. As general with baby patterns, I didn't bother swatching as baby will grow to fit this item. I am only getting 22.5sts to 10cm and the pattern calls for 25sts on 3.25mm bamboo needles so I adjusted the length of the garment to take this into consideration. However, as I have more of this in my stash I plan to drop a needle size when using the rest of the yarn.

I am lucky enough to live a spit close to Bath, which allows me to enjoy the city after just a short walk. A while ago we were lucky enough to have Oxalis open their tea emporium in New Bond Street. Being partial to a cuppa I think this is a brilliant store where loose leaf tea can be purchased by the bag. They also sell lovely teapots, cups and tea cosies that are knitted by the mum of the man who runs the store. Best of all is that they now have tearooms in the basement of the building. A genius idea that enables you to try a type of tea from their extensive menu before purchasing it from the shop upstairs. The ambience and service was as lovely as the tea and my visit left me with a warm happy glow for the rest of the day. They are also happy to see knitters so, if you have some time available and fancy a pleasant location to knit, drop in and have some tea. I don’t think it will disappoint.

No comments: