I have finished the socks I am giving to Iain. Based upon Lucy Neatby's Timberline Socks I think they look quite smart. I only made a couple of small changes - changing them to toe up socks, making the longer and knitting to cast off in 2x2 rib. They sure look comfortable. I would say that the garter stitch toe and heel look much better when the sock is worn. As always, I feel that the short row heel is unsatisfactory. I just don't like the holes that appear. By the way, Lucy indicates the knitter should use the tail of the ball (or a second ball) as this gives a neater finish to the heel. As I was knitting both socks at the same time using the magic loop method, I couldn't really do this. I didn't find this a messy heel although I did need to "beautify" one of the heel axis points.
These were knitted in Stylecraft's DK Life yarn on 3.25mm needles. This made for a bargin pair of socks costing only £2! And it wasn't bad to knit with although it didn't pull freely from the centre. This might have been down to the fact it is 75% acrylic and only 25% yarn.
With only Vera and Rosey matinee jacket on my needles I have managed to reduce my WIP's although today I cast on Pilton Jays. These socks are destined to be my Glastonbury knit and are Nataline Knits version of Gumperina's Jaywalkers. I am knitting these in Opal Hundertwasser Der Blaue Mond.
I have to leave them alone until Wednesday though.
In other maddening news, I have been foolish enough to sign up for a Victorian Lace Today KAL. It starts next month and I am totally excited.