Sunday 28 September 2008

Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby!

My in-laws celebrated their 40th Wedding Anniversary last weekend.

Merriment was held at my BIL house and the weather was so kind we were able to enjoy an afternoon in the garden, drinking tea, eating cake and, later, quaffing wine. Although that warmth seems a long time ago as I have been cold this evening.

After a glass of champagne (so necessary at all festivities, although DH disagrees), we were treated to a lovely dinner at La Flambe.

Following on from all the festivities, Sam and I played netball on Sunday morning. I don't know who was more surprised - Sam that I actually turned up or me that I could catch the ball! Certainly, it was not like playing netball at school. I used to hate the seriously competitive edge matches had, maybe because I always felt useless and was one of the last chosen. I'm really not bitter and twisted by school sports (although I hated the majority of them), but it is refreshing to discover that ball games can be played for fun, with much laughter and the odd jostle.

For the afternoon, we enjoyed a sunny walk around the circular drive at Westonbirt Arboretum. The autumn colours are starting to come through, and there are plenty of berries on the trees.

Russets always look spectacular and light up the greens around them.

I just loved the splash of purple against the lime of the leaf.


I was surprised by the glorious show put on by the hydrangeas, although I do love their blousey lazy look.

I think the perfect view of the day was this heavily ladened tree. Each branch was perfectly lit and looked like a shower of lights in the sunbeams.

I have been knitting too, although you might not think so. I am desperate to finish All the Fun of the Fair and Vera. I am very close to finishing both of these projects but have been devoting time to knitting presents.

My friend, Mandy, returned to New Zealand this Wednesday. I have discovered she has taken up knitting, generally reusing garments from charity shops. I really hope to see some of the stuff she has been working on. I was able to send her home with my EZ Hat, which should help keep her warm next winter.

I will be running the Trading Hut in the village this Saturday. Whilst I hope to get some knitting done during my shift, I also hope it will be busy so we take some money.

No comments: